Sunday afternoons in my house look like a food prep marathon. My Instant Pot has not only saved time, but once I got the hang of things, I started looking for ways to double-up and make that IP really go to work for me. Between all the activities and all the running during the weekdays, it’s the only way I’ve been able to keep the “home-cooked meal” dream alive!
One of my favorite things to do is take one main dish and stretch it into two different meals. These two particular recipes start out from the same flavorful base: Southwest Chicken. My girls request this chicken, all by itself on the regular. Over rice, served with nachos or plain plain plain.
Check out this video on how to turn Southwest Chicken into Southwest Chicken & Rice and Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Don’t let this recipe list overwhelm you! It’s mostly seasonings and toppings. (Take a shortcut with a packet of taco seasoning if you must, but it’s worth it to use your own blend!) I lurvvv flavor and spices, but you do you! Try it my way the first time or make it all your own! Either way, you’re going to be winning at life when you roll out these two dishes at once. (The future worn and haggard me, that appears around Thursday nights, says, “Sunday Self, you rock. Thanks for looking out for us! Leftovers Schmeftovers. This is amazing!”)
- SOUTHWEST CHICKEN BASE:
- 2 Tbs cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 6-7 chicken breasts
- tortilla chips
- toppings (cilantro, tomatoes, cheese, jalapeños, avocado, plain greek yogurt)
- FOR DISH 1: SOUTHWEST CHICKEN & RICE
- 2 cups brown rice (add 2.5 cups of water to rice)
- FOR DISH 2: CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- jalapeños, diced
- 1 carton Swanson chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 can Rotel
- Put chicken in Instant Pot.
- Add all spices (cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper)*
- Add ½-1 cup of water (depending on how much chicken you're cooking).
- Place rack on top of the chicken.
- Place glass Pyrex bowl with rice on the rack and add appropriate amount of water. (Brown rice uses 1 cups of brown rice to 1.25 cups water, but all rices differ.)
- Cover with lid, lock in place and turn to seal.
- Set IP to Manual for 18 minutes.
- When done, quick release steam, remove rice carefully, take the rack out and shred chicken.
- DISH 1: SOUTHWEST CHICKEN & RICE
- Layer rice, chicken, and any toppings your heart desires.
- DISH 2: CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- Remove all chicken from the Instant Pot, leaving the yummy juices in the pot.
- Turn IP to saute (high).
- Add onions, garlic and finely diced jalapeño and sauté until translucent.
- Add shredded chicken (equalling around 2 breasts) and Rotel.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Saute until simmering.
- Turn the IP to warm and spoon it out.
- Sprinkle with desired toppings and tortilla chips on the side.
Still on the fence about the Instant Pot? Here’s a post I’ve written with the Top 5 Reasons I Love the Instant Pot. It comes in a 6-quart, and an 8-quart option.
I have the 6 quart like this one Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer on Amazon.
*I am an Amazon affiliate and if you make a purchase, I earn a small commission. My love for this product is genuine and all opinions are truthful and my own.