With the Christmas season right around the corner, my girls and I are always looking for fun projects to get us in the spirit. This weekend, we not only decked the halls, but even squeezed in this holiday fun-ness!
The Scene – Kitchen Table
- Hallmark Channel 24/7 Christmas movie marathon… check
- Hot chocolate for two, coffee for one… double-check
- Cozy fire blazing <sigh>… check
- All the craft supplies (and then some)… check
We became ONE with the Hallmark movie. We were quite literally a Hallmark movie. Until… <sappy holiday music record scratch here to signal rapid return to reality> someone took someone’s felt. Someone hoarded alllll the glue. Where. Are. The. Popsicle. Sticks??? Googley-eye crisis averted. (Good grief, we weren’t even going to USE the googley-eyes.). Scissors! Everyone must have their OWN pair! (Insert moving “Be nice to your sister” speech, followed up with pointed stares in both directions.)
A few years ago, we played a Dirty Santa game at work. My friend, Dana, brought in an adorable, rustic, cedar tree her husband, Mark Poleski, had carved… With. A. Chainsaw! They are both crazy-talented artists and owners of Sleepy Hollow Art. I had been coveting one of these trees for weeks. (Especially after I saw this video she took of him carving one.)
I snatched that tree up like a kid grabs a bag of Halloween candy. I kept MY tree close. Out of sight. “Shhhh… no one talk about it. Don’t look at it. Stahhhhhp. Nothing to see over here. So booorrrrring.” And then <Woosh>… SHE. WAS. STOLEN. Someone else was holding MY tree. (A former co-worker later gloated about her victory on social media. Taunting me. Posting photos of MY tree in her house.) I settled for the fourth or fifth gift that could no longer be stolen from me. I wasn’t (very) bitter.
I had a fierce pout going on for daysssss. One week later <insert twinkling tree fairy sounds here as Dana walked into the office> my VERY OWN, even MORE amazing tree appeared. No one could steal her. She was mine FOR-EVAH! She now has a permanent place on my mantle all year long!
This year, we thought we’d dress her up a little for the Christmas season with… FESTIVE FRINGED GARLAND!
Christmas Crafty: Festive Fringed Garland
- Rustic Cedar Chainsaw Carved Tree from Sleepy Hollow Art
- Fabric Quilting Squares (any variety sized at 18″ x 21″)
- Brown Craft String
- Cut the string to the length of garland you want. (We measured around 6 feet for our 2 foot tree. Great job for a little helper!)
2. Stack the fabric. Fold over. Cut the squares into the desired size strips. (We cut 9-inch strips, which made 4-ish inch fringes, once knotted.)
3. Loop. Knot. Repeat. (My girl and I raced from opposite ends, whilst watching Lacey Chabert on the Hallmark Channel! Just look at those knots!)
Hi, Lacey! We lurv you!
4. Check garland for size before you get to the end. It gets super long.
5. String garland on tree. Marvel at your craftiness! (Seriously… this couldn’t have been easier or more precious.)
Tried this project? I’d love to see your finished product.
Next time… Christmas Crafty: Sled Ornaments (Project #2)