By itself, or on top of a baked potato or sweet potato, this Instant Pot Black Bean Turkey Chili is suuuuper yum! I made these perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes first and assembled the turkey chili ingredients while they cooked (all of 10 minutes). Once you pull those potatoes out, dump the water and roll right into making your chili while the pot is still hot! It’s just hearty and filling and well… comfort food at it’s finest.
Yes, you could make this on the stove top no problem, but I am all about only dirtying up ONE pot and I just really like how it cooks up in my IP. I loathe dirty dishes. (I know, #irony… seeing as how I use #allthedishes for my food prep videos and pictures!) Also, I loooove spicy things, but if you don’t, you can cut back on some of the chili powder or eliminate the jalapenos all together. A little sour cream or plain greek yogurt can help calm the spice down too. But seriously. It’s yum.
Want to add some extra flavor? I added Whole Sister’s Dump Ranch to the top. I’ve been trying different recipes over the last few months and this one is quick and simple! I added it to almost everything I ate all week.
- 1 onion (diced)
- ½ jalapeno (diced)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 T Cumin
- ½ tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground turkey (I use 85/15)
- 1 can of Rotel (b/c Rotel = yum)
- 1 can of chili-ready tomatoes (because I like the added flavor)
- 1 can of low-sodium black beans (I use Bush's brand)
- Water, as needed
- Toppings (jalapenos, cheese, greek yogurt/sour cream, ranch, etc.)
- Saute onion and garlic cloves in a little olive oil until translucent. (Add just a little water if necessary to prevent sticking. Keep stirring and adjust saute settings from lower to higher as needed).
- Add ground turkey and all those yummy spices. (cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt & pepper). Saute until cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes and black beans.
- Saute until simmering.
- Enjoy this chili by itself with cheese on top, or pour some over a sweet potato (or regular potato) from the instant pot.